[PlanetCCRMA] Re: slowing down?

Axel Thimm Axel.Thimm@physik.fu-berlin.de
Sat Jan 10 03:42:01 2004

--Oiv9uiLrevHtW1RS

On Sat, Jan 10, 2004 at 03:04:48AM -0800, Oded Ben-Tal wrote:
> I'm experienceing a curious slowing down occasionally. I think it happene=
s=20
> when I have problems with the ethernet connection (ADSL at home; not very=
=20
> reliable) but I'm not entirely sure. My machine slows down to an=20
> unworkable crawl - it sometimes take is over 15 min. to boot, I have to=
=20
> wait 1-2 minutes to launch a terminal etc.=20
> Any ideas how to track the problem?=20
> Oh - I'm running RH9, planet-ccrma kernel 2-23-something-or-another.

Do you run NIS or something else polling user/group data from the
network? Maybe DNS lookups? Try firing up a paket sniffer, for example

tethereal -i eth0

I don't think the slowdown will be kernel related, this is usually the
network's fault, but just in case try grepping for "D" processes in ps'
output.