[PlanetCCRMA] P-CCRMA kernel won't boot: laptop PCMCIA network card IRQ won't boot, hangs:

Sat Jan 3 12:55:02 2004

> I'm new to Planet-CCRMA, having problems booting kernel;
> P-CCRMA kernel won't boot: laptop PCMCIA network card IRQ won't boot, hangs;
> here's my /var/log/messages file, see entry at Jan  3 18:00:47 and previous
> 2 lines where PCMCIA IRQ problem occurs when booting.

I seem to recall somebody else having problems with pcmcia. It would not
start on boot but it would start if started manually after the boot was
done. Weird.

A few things you could try:

a) install and boot into the Planet CCRMA RedHat kernel (with
capabilities). If that works then there is some incompatibility in the
Planet CCRMA kernel with your hardware.

b) try to boot with acpi disabled. For that, edit /boot/grub/grub.conf
(carefully) and add a "acpi=off" at the end of the line that boots the
Planet CCRMA kernel. If you do that check that the processor fan turns
on every once in a while and that the machine does not get too hot (it
looks like you have a Toshiba laptop).

c) try turning off pcmcia to see if the boot finishes (you can do that
with "/sbin/chkconfig --del pcmcia", use "--list" to see its state and
"--add" to add it back).

-- Fernando