[PlanetCCRMA] fc3: kernel update

Janina Sajka janina@rednote.net
Wed Dec 29 07:45:01 2004

OK, a brief report ...

I have 2.6.9-2.2.rdt.rhfc3.ccrma installed (via apt-get) and running
without incident. This time, the initrd was correctly built by rpm and
there appear to be no issues with basic Fedora services also running on
this box.

A couple of wierdnesses noted so far:

1.) aplay and alsaplayer don't work. They attempt to play, but repeat an
approx 200 ms segment of the file in a loop. Fernando, before installing
these FC3 kernels, I was running these apps OK with alsa 1.0.8RC1, FYI.

2.)	mplayer isn't having this problem. It sounds and behaves well.

3.)	jackstart -R -d alsa -d hw -r 44100 &

complains it can't get realtime capibilities and aborts via jackd
watchdog. Indeed, rtload won't, reporting failure.

Dropping -R gets jack to load, but pops up the following from time to time:

ALSA: poll time out, polled for 34822515 usecs

I'm too inexperienced to have a clue about that.

Attempts to play something:

'aplay -D jackplug file.wav' yields:

ALSA lib pcm.c:1944:(snd_pcm_open_conf) Cannot open shared library
/usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_jack.so
aplay: main:508: audio open error: No such file or directory

Indeed, there's not even an /usr/lib/alsa-lib/ directory. How is that
possible?

One other question:

When doing apt-get dist-upgrade, I'm offered over 200 programs to be
removed and about 3 to be installed. I'm reluctant to do that as this
particular machine serves other functions. Is this usual? I'm not 100%
FC kosher, but I don't think I've strayed that far, but perhaps I have.

I could do a separate disk installation just for testing if you'd advise
that.

PS: Hardware here is Opteron 248 on a Tyan board driving a Multiface via
PCI. Installation is FC3 i386. The FC3 x86_64 installation on another
disk still won't get any sound from the Multiface.

--

				Janina Sajka, Chair
				Accessibility Workgroup

janina@freestandards.org	Phone: +1 202.494.7040

If Linux doesn't solve your computing problem, you need a different problem.

I think a little ditty like you
> want is just variable to be of much use.
>

> --
> Mike
>  http://www.ohmywoodness.com
>  http://mike.vorefamily.net/twr

				Janina Sajka, Chair
				Accessibility Workgroup
				Free Standards Group (FSG)

janina@freestandards.org	Phone: +1 202.494.7040

If Linux doesn't solve your computing problem, you need a different problem.

Hardware here is Opteron 248 on a Tyan board with HDSP Multiface via PCI
interface.