[PlanetCCRMA] Problems with the new kernel

Thu Sep 25 16:17:03 2003

> > I'm at a loss, I have never seen this happen. Could you send me the
> > messages before it gives up? Another idea would be to try to boot single
> > user (add "single" in the grub boot line). I take it older kernels boot
> > fine.
>
> Older kernels do boot fine, so no trouble there. There are no
> differences between kernel options for 2.4.21-1.ll.acpi and
> 2.4.22-6.ll.rh90 in grub.conf.
>
> > This is very strange, it _is_ finding "/", right? I've had problems with
> > boot before but it has always been setting the wrong partition in
> > /etc/fstab. Do you have multiple ide controllers? The new kernel may be
> > recognizing them in different order and then the drive letters don't
> > match... but that does not seem to be the problem you're having.
>
> It is finding / correctly.
>
> After refusing to check the partition it asks for the root password
> after which I get a command prompt. From the prompt I confirmed that the
> rootfs was in fact mounted read/write.

Again strange, I looked at the rc.sysinit script. What is the prompt you
have when you drop into the shell prompt? I guess it should be "Repair
filesystem". What is weird is that just before that rc.sysinit does a:

		umount -a
		mount -n -o remount,ro /

What happens if you try to remount ro when you get the prompt?
I don't see anything in rc.sysinit that mounts rw (at that early stage
of the boot). Could you send the startup messages you get?

-- Fernando