[PlanetCCRMA] Re: jack jack jack

Mark Knecht mknecht@controlnet.com
Thu Sep 25 14:00:02 2003

> you're absolutely correct. here i was assuming that /dev/hda was my
> drive and /hdc was the cd-rom, but in fact they are reversed...? very
> strange.

If your PC uses a standard chipset (Intel, Via, NVidea, etc.) and standard
BIOS, then I think the following is true:

1) You have 2 IDE controllers built in.

2) On controller #1 you can have two devices. The Master Device is /dev/hda
and the Slave Device is /dev/hdb. (Note - this can still mean that the CDROM
is hda, but nominally it will be hdb)

3) On controller #2 you can have two devices. The Master Device is /dev/hdc
and the Slave Device is /dev/hdd.

   Forcing a guess, I think you have a CDROM on cable 1 by itself, and you
have a hard drive on cable 2 by itself.

   It's only a guess... ;-)

NOTE - If you use an additional controller, like a Promise ATA-133 PCI card
or something, then there is a kernel configuration option for booting
onboard controllers before or after other controllers. Depending on how you
have this option set you can get different results.

Cheers,
Mark