New kernels (Re: [PlanetCCRMA] updated: gmorgan, alsa-patch-bay

Fri Sep 19 10:11:02 2003

> > PS: anyone out there has tried the new kernels in planetedge?
>
> Yes, me. I hoped that the new 4.22-ll kernel should solve
> the problems with my nforce2 machine. Unfortunately not.
> It crashes as soon as there comes a bit pressure on either
> cpu or harddisk, just as the 4.21-ll kernel. But I got some amazing
> results as long as it ran though. I managed to run jack with a period
> size of 64 and a quite large ardour-project, without any x-runs.

Sounds good, except for the crashing part :-(

> Well, perhaps the first x-run was the thing that made the
> machine crash (about 30 seconds).
>
> However, the new 4.20 redhat-caps kernel works fine. And
> the original redhat 8 kernel does not (4.18). Do you
> have any idea what makes the redhat kernel works? Could
> it be theire reduced low-latency patch?

There has to be interaction with the nforce2 chipset stuff, maybe low
latency, who knows. I'll see if I can find patches or information about
the nforce2 chipset, somebody else must be having similar problems.

-- Fernando