[PlanetCCRMA] MIDI on the RME Multiface

Janina Sajka janina@rednote.net
Tue Sep 16 17:32:02 2003

I'm trying to use pmidi to drive any of several synths I have.

I still can't get it to work. The shell acts as if its working --
meaning that there are no errors displayed, that the pmidi command gets
a pid, and that the prompt doesn't return for about the time it would
take to actually play the MIDI file.

pmidi -l yields:

 Port     Client name                       Port name
  72:0     Rawmidi 1 -  MIDI 1                MIDI 1
   72:32    Rawmidi 1 -  MIDI 1                MIDI 2
    80:0     Virtual Raw MIDI 2-0              VirMIDI 2-0
     81:0     Virtual Raw MIDI 2-1              VirMIDI 2-1
      82:0     Virtual Raw MIDI 2-2              VirMIDI 2-2
       83:0     Virtual Raw MIDI 2-3              VirMIDI

       So, I try pmidi -p 72:0 [filename.mid]

       And ...

       pmidi -p 72:32

       All I get is silence.

       			Stumped in Silver Spring

But, there's nothing happening from my speakers. So, how do I debug? I
know I can play .wav through the Multiface, or data from a DAT via
sp/dif on it. Of course, I had to enable these via amixer. Might there
be a setting in /etc/asound.state that needs setting?