[PlanetCCRMA] Re: new install, broken alsa depends..

Sun Sep 14 17:04:01 2003

> this was a little stupid of me, as i added the ccrma apt/sources.list
> to the original rather than replacing it, and then had done a
> dist-upgrade.
> anyway, since it was a new install, i just did it again and did it
> right and now have the ccrma kernel/modules/apps. yay!
>
> next step is making things work. not sure where to begin. i have
> found a few things have problems: audacity seems to play a file once
> then quit (but it does make sound!). ardour just crashes all open
> apps when i try to start it.

Ardour has a known bug (I'm waiting for the next tarball which should
fix it). You have to have Jack up and running for ardour to be of any
use, it needs Jack as the i/o subsystem for audio (see the Jack section
for how to start it). The current Ardour version dies pretty badly if it
does not find Jack running (it kills its process group and that includes
the whole of the gui session).

-- Fernando