[PlanetCCRMA] DVD authoring program

Joseph Zitt jzitt@josephzitt.com
Wed Sep 10 19:45:02 2003

On Thu, 2003-09-04 at 19:56, Joseph Zitt wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-09-02 at 07:35, Juan Reyes wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Is there a DVD authoring program in Linux that you guys know about it
> > and if so what would be a good capturing board with Linux drivers.
>
> And could someone recommend (and could the Planet possibly include) a
> GUI for building VCDs? We have the vcdimager scripts, but I would guess
> that there might be a simple GUI out there to tie them together.

Since writing this, I've been using qvcd with some success. The
interface is not great, and there doesn't seem to be a way to save
preferences (such as the needed arguments to cdrdao), but other than
that, it's OK. I haven't yet been able to create VCDs that my
non-computer-based DVD player will play, but that's true with or without
the GUI, and the problem may be in the DVD player itself.

On a similar note: I'm looking at LiVES
http://www.xs4all.nl/~salsaman/lives/
as a possible tool for quick video editing (I'm daunted by the problems
reported with cinelerra). It looks like it requires an upgrade to
gtk+2.0, but I'm worried that it might break other stuff. Is this safe?
Should I hold off until the Planet does this upgrade (if you're going
to)?