[PlanetCCRMA] some stuff...

Wed Sep 10 17:40:02 2003

> Thanks again (I'll never be able to say it enough).

Sure... (as I wait for the build of 2.4.22-6.ll :-)

> Now uh here's my *dream*; I want linux supercollider.  Has anyone
> really put in any time getting/running sc3 on linux?  If you haven't
> seen/heard this program/language you're deprived/missing out by the
> way.

I also want it. I think there is a version of the core language and the
command interpreter, it even has support for jack. But there is no gui.
I don't know if it is worth to package it in this state. If there is
interest I'll do it, of course.

> Seriously it's one of the easiest ways to create sound IMHO and there
> is a nascent port to linux.  I wonder if things have moved along enough
> to include it in the planet?
>
> Otherwise I've come across some interesting apps (perhaps Nando between
> your kernel compiling, building, packaging, researching, corresponding,
> trouble-shooting, educating and whatever else you do you might cast an
> eye over some of these links);

I did...

> http://ambient.2y.net/soundscrape/ - SC style synthesis language

This one definitely looks cool. But as it says in the "it sucks" section
it needs bleeding edge libraries, some only available on cvs. I don't
know how many libraries or the packaging problems that will happen. It
looks very promising, we should keep an eye on it.

> http://swiki.hfbk-hamburg.de:8888/MusicTechnology/558 - brief intro to
> sc3 and linux
>
> http://simsam.sourceforge.net/ - a simple MIDI sample playback program

I need to package it...

> http://hem.passagen.se/ja_linux/ - polyphonic multichannel midi
> realtime software synth

Could be interesting, I guess. You can't have too many synths?

> http://festvox.org/festival/index.html - software multi-lingual speech
> synthesis workbench

It does not seem to be clear to me what it adds (or substracts?) from
Festival, which is already included in RedHat. Do you know?

> http://audio.egregious.net/scream/

This one depends on java... so it will have to wait a bit, Jmax is first
in the line :-)

-- Fernando