[PlanetCCRMA] Jack development package name difference between RH and SuSE (Re: [jmax] Problem with jMax 4.0.2 on SuSE Linux 8.2)

Wed Oct 29 09:44:01 2003

> The is a problem due to different names of the jack development packages on
> RH9 and SuSE 8.2. The names used are "jack-audio-connection-kit-devel" and
> "jack-devel" respectively.
>
> I have found a single RPM file (for an older version of the jack devkit)
> which provides both packages, "jack-audio-connection-kit-devel" and
> "jack-devel". That could be a solution. But if I am correct than the jack
> development kit RPMs on ccrma-planet currently provide only
> "jack-audio-connection-kit-devel". Could you add "jack-devel" as an
> additional name for the package?

A package should depend on libraries, not package names. There are cases
where package names are unavoidable, of course (jack is perhaps one of
them because so far the library so version is not being updated). If
what you want to do is to create jmax rpms for both SuSE and RedHat then
the difference in package naming has to be resolved there (in the jmax
package). When you build the package for SuSE the jmax rpm should
recognize it is being built on SuSE and depend on "jack-devel". Same
when building on RedHat. This is assuming that for some reason you
_have_ to use explicit package names.

If you want to build _one_ binary package that works on both, and use
explicit package names in the dependencies you are out of luck (I gave
up on that dream a long time ago). Rpm does not support "or" of
dependencies.

The official name of the package is "jack-audio-connection-kit", maybe
SuSE should change its naming...

-- Fernando