[PlanetCCRMA] multi kernel-multi audio?

Thu Nov 27 12:18:02 2003

> I am currently using two kernels:
> 1. Fedora with planet CCRMA
> 2. Fedora with win4lin
>
> (I don't have the time to fiddle getting a win4lin kernel with
> lowlatencey and alsa right now)
>
> If I install oss drivers for my soundblaster live for the win4lin kernel
> will they interfere with the alsa drivers of my planet kernel???

I'm not sure what you mean by "install". The drivers themselves should
already be there in both kernels (if you are talking about OSS/Free - it
is part of the 2.4 kernels). In any case, installing drivers for one
kernel will not affect the drivers in the other, they live in separate
directory trees (/lib/modules/...).

_But_ the /etc/modules.conf file (that associates the drivers with the
kernel names for them) is shared between all kernels. You should save
the alsaconf configured modules.conf for when you want to boot with alsa
support and have another one (configured for oss) for when you want to
boot with the oss drivers. It cannot be done automatically (AFAIK).

Another option would be to dispense with modules.conf altogether and
manually load the drivers you want after you boot.

-- Fernando