[PlanetCCRMA] Re: problem with new redhat glibc

Tracey Anne Hytry shakti@bayarea.net
Thu Nov 13 14:43:01 2003

Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

> (*) as an addon keep in mind that Planet CCRMA was not something that
> was "proposed" and then "developed" as a formal project. It is just the
> side effect of the fact that I have been mantaining a sound/music
> environment on Linux here at CCRMA for quite a while...
>
> (**) again, the goal (for me) was to try to create a good Linux-based
> working environment here at CCRMA... initially at least. But I created a
> monster...

I started downloading and manually loading the rpms from the planet a long time ago, in the rh7.1 days.  I was really pleased to find a place where someone had precompiled binaries that would run out of the box on the redhat boxes.

The planet quickly grew, no longer did I need to think about compiling my own low latencey kernel anymore, no more compiling the newest alsa(can still do it in my sleep).  Lots of the apps that I liked, like muse;  I wasn't recompiling the newest release that often.  I'd find the latest thing (like hydrogen) at the time, and Fernando would have also found it and had it all packaged up a few days after I had spent the time compiling it.

The planet has some of the best of linux sound programs, ready to go, no real problems, just pop redhat on the machine, go to the planet web pages, cut/paste a few things, install apt, and get whatever you want.

What this all boils down to is... don't look a gift horse in the mouth ... And please ask politely if Fernando has the time to look into the newest sound app.  From what I can understand, the planet is part of ccrma, which is a real place where real and seriuos things happen.

I'm very happy that Fernando is giving us all of the extra time to share this with us.  I'm also very glad that ccrma lets him give us the time, gives us the archive space, and gives us all of the download bandwidth.

Tracey.