[PlanetCCRMA] Video4Linux

Mon Nov 10 13:39:01 2003

> Fernando/
> $ cat /proc/asound/cards
> 0 [I82801CAICH3   ]: ICH - Intel 82801CA-ICH3
>                      Intel 82801CA-ICH3 at 0x1c00, irq 9
> 1 [Controller     ]: USB-Audio - UC-16 USB MIDI Controller
>                      Evolution Electronics Ltd. UC-16 USB MIDI
> Controller at usb-00:1d.1-2
> 2 [U0x46d0x8b0    ]: USB-Audio - USB Device 0x46d:0x8b0
>                       at usb-00:1d.1-1

This is only the audio portion of the webcam (I think), there has to be
a device somewhere else for the video part. Probably a lsusb will show
the whole thing. Is there a module loaded for it? (the video part).

> Here you can see 0/the sound card, 1/the midi controller and 2/the
> webcam (Logitech Quickcam Pro 3000-2, Phillips compatible). But, when I
> use xautv, for example, to see if the cam is working, it gives me the
> message:
> $ xawtv
> This is xawtv-3.81, running on Linux/i686 (2.4.22-6.ll.rh90)
> /dev/video0 [v4l]: no overlay support
>
> When I try to use the cam, with either xawtv or more importantly in PD
> (with the PDP libraries) the video window is green. This seem to me to
> be the _No overlay support_.

I think the error message might be referring to the video card not
having overlay support (ie: it cannot blast video bits directly to the
frame buffer). What happens if you try "xawtv -noxv"?

Is that the complete output you get out of xawtv?
-- Fernando