[PlanetCCRMA] Messed up kernel upgrade

Tue Nov 4 18:53:01 2003

> A while back, I mistakenly performed a dist-upgrade when there was a new
> kernel. This seems to have messed my installation up, and I can't seem
> to sort it out (although everything still works). The main symptom is
> that I get errors about dependencies if I use dist-upgrade now:
>
> --------------------------------------
>
> Reading Package Lists...
> Building Dependency Tree...
> You might want to run `apt-get -f install' to correct these.
>   alsa-kernel-2.4.20-20.1.caps.rh90: Depends: kernel-version (=
> 2.4.20-20.1.caps.rh90)
>                                      Depends: kernel-version-arch (=
> 2.4.20-20.1.caps.rh90-i686)
>   alsa-kernel-2.4.22-6.ll.rh90: Depends: kernel (= 2.4.22-6.ll.rh90)
>                                 Depends: kernel-version (=
> 2.4.22-6.ll.rh90)
>                                 Depends: kernel-version-arch (=
> 2.4.22-6.ll.rh90-i686)
>   planetccrma-core: Depends: kernel-version-arch (=
> 2.4.22-6.ll.rh90-i686)

The simplest way:
- install the latest /etc/apt/apt.conf file (it has an added
  "--oldpackage" option that should make it easier to upgrade kernels,
  you will find it in the "Configuring apt" section of the Planet CCRMA
  pages)
- do a "apt-get update" "apt-get -f install"

That should bring in packages to fix the dependencies, you can go from
there (erase what you don't want, install anything that you want).

Another way:
- manually download the missing kernel packages for the architecture you
  are running, they would be (according to the messages you sent):
    kernel-2.4.22-6.ll.rh90.i686.rpm
    kernel-2.4.20-20.1.caps.rh90.i686.rpm
  You can find links to them in the "System Stuff" section
- install them manually with "rpm -ivh"
- check that you fixed things by doing "apt-get check"

In any case you should install the latest apt.conf, that will make
future kernel upgrades transparent (ie: you do not have to manually
specify "--oldpackage" when installing - that makes <ahem, should make>
a "dist-upgrade" work fine).

-- Fernando