[PlanetCCRMA] A7N8X ethernet trouble

Tue Nov 4 10:00:02 2003

> Trying to setup CCRMA here with an ASUS A7N8X motherboard with onboard
> NVIDIA ethernet. Trouble is, linux is not recognizing the ethernet
> right away.  With Red Hat 9.0 with kernel 2.4.20-8 I had it running
> with the NVIDIA linux drivers
> (http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.0-0261.html). But after
> making the CCRMA kernel upgrade I'm once again without the net.
>
> Any suggestion's or links to point me to?

If you needed special drivers for the RedHat kernel you also need them
for the Planet CCRMA kernel. You have to rebuild them (the kernel module
for a linux driver has to be compiled for the particular kernel you want
to run it in, no substitutions no matter how close).

> I have the rpm src for the NVIDIA drivers as well at the tar, but have
> not been able to get it.

Get it to? To build? Make sure you have installed the proper
kernel-source package for the Planet CCRMA kernel (that would be
"apt-get install kernel-source#2.4.22-6.ll.rh90"). If you already did
this and still cannot get the modules to build (what is the error?) you
could try the Planet CCRMA RedHat kernel with capabilities, it is much
closer to the original kernel you have installed. You can install it by
saying:
  apt-get install planetccrma-core-redhat

You still need to build the additional driver from the NVIDIA source rpm
as before (don't forget to install the corresponding kernel-source
package as well).

-- Fernando