[PlanetCCRMA] Parse error in kernel config script

Sat May 31 12:06:01 2003

> I wanted to look at the configuration of the CCRMA kernel, but xconfig
> and the KDE kernel config utility both complain about a parse error at
> line 188 in
>
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.20-4.ll.acpi/drivers/net/Config.in
>

> if [ "$CONFIG_VISWS" = "y" ]; then
>          define_mbool CONFIG_EEPRO100_PIO y
>       else
>          dep_mbool '      Use PIO instead of MMIO' CONFIG_EEPRO100_PIO
> $CONFIG_EEPRO100
> fi
>
> The offending line is
>
> define_mbool CONFIG_EEPRO100_PIO y.
>
> I changed it to define_bool (just on a hunch), and it seems to fix the
> problem.

You should be looking at the configuration files that are part of the
kernel source rpm, not the binary kernel source rpm (I know it is
confusing...). The rpm you have to download ends in .src.rpm, not
.i386.rpm (there is a link in the "System Stuff" section of the Planet
CCRMA pges). Install it with rpm -Uvh. That will put a spec file in
/usr/src/redhat/SPECS and all the sources used to compile the kernel
(including the configuration files) in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES. The
configuration file you are looking for is in /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES and
ends in ".config", there are a bunch of them, probably the "i686.config"
is the one you want.

If you want to see the kernel source ready to be configured and built
you could run "rpmbuild -bp kernel-2.4.20-4.ll.acpi.spec" in the SPECS
directory, that will unpack and patch the kernel with all the RedHat
patches. The source will be in /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/kernel*. The
configuration files will be stored in the "configs" directory, you have
to copy the one you want to use to ".config".

> I'd like to compare the new kernel with the standard RH 9.0 version.(I'm
> trying to see why I get the ioctl error with xawtv with the new version)
> I'm not sure if I have to load one of the config scripts to see this.

I would not worry too much if xawtv is working...
-- Fernando