[PlanetCCRMA] Can't compile video drivers against new kernel under RH 9

Rohan Parkes rparkes@email.com
Fri May 30 07:06:01 2003

On Fri, 2003-05-30 at 11:31, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:
> > By the way, I find with the new kernel, when using video software such
> > as xawtv, I get error messages referring to ioctl when the application
> > launches.
>
> That means that xawtv is trying to use ioctl's that are not implemented
> in the kernel driver that is part of the Planet CCRMA kernel (plain
> Linus...)

Thanks - I suspected there must be something missing from the new
kernel, (although the old version was just the standard RH 9 one).
Kernel re-compiling is probably a bit beyond me, unfortunately.

I tried running make xconfig on the CCRMA kernel source, but it fails,
so I can't easily see the kernel configuration.

> > MPlayer also says "Linux RTC init error in ioctl (rtc_irqp_set
> > 1024): Permission denied", which might or might not be related.
>
> That's mplayer trying to program the RTC (the real time timer) to a
> frequency of 1024, normally only root can program it to frequencies
> greater than 64Hz. I think there is a /proc control file that can be
> used to override this...
>
> -- Fernando

Possibly the folks at MPlayer can offer a solution, unless I'm supposed
to run it as root.

Do you prefer MPlayer to Xine? MPlayer doesn't seem to work nearly as
well on my PC (1.6 GHz).

--
Rohan Parkes
Melbourne