[PlanetCCRMA] apt upgrade v's dist-upgrade

Tue May 27 10:13:01 2003

> Is there any difference between the two? I just realised that the website
> says to use dist-upgrade and I've been using just upgrade (guess I started
> using it my accident).

the apt-get man page says:
       dist-upgrade
              dist-upgrade, in addition to performing  the  func-
              tion  of upgrade, also intelligently handles chang-
              ing dependencies with  new  versions  of  packages;
              apt-get  has  a "smart" conflict resolution system,
              and it will attempt to upgrade the  most  important
              packages  at the expense of less  important ones if
              necessary.

I guess upgrade will never try to erase a package at all... I always use
dist-upgrade so I don't really know.

-- Fernando