[PlanetCCRMA] Problem with Jack?

Joe Dell'Orfano fullgo@dellorfano.net
Tue May 13 09:50:02 2003

Hi all,

I am sorry if I'm covering old ground here. I have recently configured
my system with all of the Planet CCRMA packages (running RH 8.0 on an
AMD processor with on-board via82xx sound). All packages appear to work
properly except Jack. When I run Jack in a terminal I get a screen of

**** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.0xx seconds

When Jack runs as such, I can get ardour to work, but when recording
from the pcm source, there is a lot of noise. I have not been able to
get rid of this noise by turning off different channels on the mixer.
The noise is heard whenever I turn a track on for recording. I have no
problem recording with Audacity or Cinelerra, so I think the problem is
with Jack and not with Alsa or my hardware. I have not identified any
IRQ conflicts.

Any help with this would be appreciated. I am tempted to just buy
another sound card and install it, but I don't want to break the system
either.

Thanks!

-Joe

--