[PlanetCCRMA] apt and proxy settings

Martin Dupras martin.dupras@uwe.ac.uk
Thu May 1 06:39:01 2003

I have planet-ccrma set-up on my home rh9 machine working just fine. On
the basis of that I decided to upgrade my workstation at work to
rh9/planet-ccrma too.

Here's the one problem. There isn't a cd-rom for planetccrma for rh9
yet, and this machine is behind an academic firewall.

I have set my proxy setting throughout that machine in such a way that
everything works OK pretty, except for apt. I have altered the
configuration file (/etc/apt/apt/conf) to include explicitly my proxy
settings but that seems to not make much difference.

I had never used apt before planet-ccrma, but maybe I'm misunderstanding
how it operates. Am I correct in understanding that apt requests an rpm
package via an http transaction (in other words, it forms a URL and what
  is returned by this URL is an rpm file)? If so, why would that fail
when all other http programs seem to handle my proxy settings OK?

Thanks!

- martin