[PlanetCCRMA] Re: Laptop problems with PCMCIA

Bob L. Sturm sturm@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Mon Jun 30 11:17:00 2003

Thanks Andre, but I am still having problems. Here is the output (for
anyone who is interested, thanks!)

# modprobe -v orinoco_cs

/sbin/insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.21-1.ll.acpi/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/hermes.o
Using /lib/modules/2.4.21-1.ll.acpi/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/hermes.o
Symbol version prefix ''
/sbin/insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.21-1.ll.acpi/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco.o
Using /lib/modules/2.4.21-1.ll.acpi/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco.o
/sbin/insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.21-1.ll.acpi/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_cs.o
Using
/lib/modules/2.4.21-1.ll.acpi/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/orinoco_cs.o

Nothing seems to be missing, but when i do a iwconfig
# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.
eth0      no wireless extensions.

I should be seeing eth1. I have /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth1.

Even after init 3, and init 5 (restarting X), there still is no eth1.

lsmod shows:
orinoco_cs              5460   0  (unused)
orinoco                38352   0  [orinoco_cs]
hermes                  7272   0  [orinoco_cs orinoco]
ds                      8808   1  [orinoco_cs]
yenta_socket           13600   1
pcmcia_core            57440   0  [orinoco_cs ds yenta_socket]
How can I get it "used"?

Also I tried the following:

[11:05:38][~]# service network stop
Shutting down interface eth0:                              [  OK  ]
Shutting down loopback interface:                          [  OK  ]
[11:06:08][~]# service pcmcia restart
Shutting down PCMCIA services: cardmgr modulesds: Device or resource busy
yenta_socket: Device or resource busy
pcmcia_core: Device or resource busy
.
Starting PCMCIA services: cardmgr.
[11:06:15][~]# service network start
Setting network parameters:                                [  OK  ]
Bringing up loopback interface:                            [  OK  ]
Bringing up interface eth1:                                [  OK  ]
[11:06:24][~]# iwconfig
lo        no wireless extensions.

eth0      no wireless extensions.

And then when I did:

[11:07:46][~]# service --status-all
Configured devices:
lo eth0 eth1
Currently active devices:
lo eth0

I have even tried to "make install" two versions of the orinoco
driver, 13d, and the very latest 13e. Neither makes a difference.

Thanks for your help. Searching the web on this issue I see that I am not
the only one with this problem. But I can't find any solutions that have
helped me.

-Bob.

--
        //\		Bob L. Sturm