[PlanetCCRMA] Apt-Get stalls

steven yi kunstmusik@hotmail.com
Fri Jun 13 12:27:01 2003

Hi all,

I've recently did a clean install of Redhat 9 after using Mandrake for the
past few years and I thought I'd give Planet-CCRMA a whirl.  Unfortunately,
I think I screwed things up with apt-get, as now when I do an "apt-get
update" it seems to just hang (I waited 10-15mins). There are messages that
it goes and grabs files from CCRMA, but then dies on processing the list
(sorry, don't have the exact message here with me at work).

What I did was installed the apt and apt-devel rpm's from the Planet-CCRMA
site and got the correct sources.list and apt.conf.  The first time I did
all this things seemed fine.  I decided to add JPackage as a source,
following the instructions on their site (java development stuff).  After
that, apt-get always stalled and I haven't gotten past that.

I've tried killing the /etc/apt dir and the cache dir for apt and
reinstalling apt and apt-devel, but no luck.  I also killed all RPM locks
and issued a "rpm -vv --rebuilddb".  Still hangs.

I'm looking for a recommended way to clean off apt completely (I'm guessing
I didn't do so earlier) or maybe any pointers on what's going on.

Thanks,
steven