[PlanetCCRMA] Some suggestions, please.

Fri Jun 13 10:02:02 2003

> Here's what I have done so far:
>
> Installed apt using the instructions on the ccrma website.
> Used apt-get update, then apt-get install synaptic.
> From there I installed audacity to use to record.
>
> The first time I used audacity, there was no problem.  Since then, I get
> nothing but a flat line, i.e. nothing is being recorded.  If I plug my
> headphones into the output of the soundcard, I can hear the incoming
> signal.  I can even raise and lower the volume with the slider in
> audacity.  This tells me the sound card is working, right?

Yes and no, yes the card is passing the signal internally to the output
but that does not mean the drivers are working (most probably yes).

Try using gamix to see if the microphone is enabled...
(I assume alsa is running, check to see if you have a directory at
/proc/asound).

> Oh, if it makes a difference, when I'm asked on boot-up, I have three
> different kernel choices: 2.4.20-4.11.acpi; 2.4.20-13.9; 2.4.20-8.  It
> doesn't matter which one I use.

That is strange. 2.4.20-8 is the original RedHat kernel and you don't
have alsa drivers (from Planet CCRMA) for that.

-- Fernando