[PlanetCCRMA] Downloading at work, installing at home?

alez@vodafone.es alez@vodafone.es
Thu Jun 12 04:19:02 2003

Greetings!

I've been browsing the online documentation in order to find out the
best way of installing Planet CCRMA at Home. I would be installing it
in my home computer, which has no Internet connection available at all
(it has CD-ROM, though). At work, I have good Internet access and a CD
burner. Presently, I don't have Linux on my machine.

>From the docs, it looks like my solution would be to download Redhat 9
ISOs (3 CDs, I think) plus Planet CCRMA at Home ISO (1 CD, I think),
and take all the stuff home. Unfortunately, it looks like, although
Planet CCRMA at Home RPMs are ready for Redhat 9, the ISO image was
made some time ago and is not: It should be installed on top of Redhat
8. I would rather go for an up to date installation since I believe
that a lot of development has been taking place. Therefore, I was
wondering if it would be a better solution to download all the RPMs and
put them in 1 or 2 CDs. I don't know if I could then use apt to install
them since I'm quite clueless with Linux, and I'm unsure of how the
different dependencies would be managed. Also, if that's a possibility
at all, I still don't know how to download the RPMs. At work, I can use
HTTP and FTP only, which means I can use wget (we use NT at work but
there's a nice wget port which works fine), but I've read that Planet
CCRMA at Home resides in a repository, and I don't have a clue about
what that means to me.

I would be very grateful to hear any "if I was you, I would.." from you
guys. Also, if you have any news that an updated ISO of Planet CCRMA at
Home is to become available soon, please let me know! To me, it looks
like the easiest way.

Thanks very much and best luck with your musical projects. As you can
see, I'm pretty confused at the moment..

Cheers,

Alex

PS: Is Nando Spanish? Just out of curiosity, since I am.

 Vodafone te ofrece el primer servicio de mensajería instantánea con
todo lo que hasta ahora te ofrecía un messenger clásico, ahora también
desde tu móvil. Comunicate o haz nuevos amigos estés donde estés (Web,
WAP o SMS), entra en Vodafone Messenger:
http://www.vodafone.es/vodafonemessenger y envía ahora todos los SMS
que quieras a tus amigos gratis desde la web.