[PlanetCCRMA] new module help

Mark Knecht mknecht@controlnet.com
Tue Feb 25 09:56:02 2003

> You too huh :)
>
> I think the reason it fails is because Fernando used gcc 2.96 to build the
> kernels and the gcc3 in RH8 is incompatible in some way (I had this
> problem with the NVidia modules too - the drivers need to be hacked
> slightly to get suspend to work).
>
> - Steve

Steve,
   I'm hopelessly lost in a maze of twisty-turny passages that all look
alike. Kernels downloaded from kernel.org have varying degrees of
compilation success for me:

a) 2.4.18 and 2.4.19 compile correctly on gcc 2.96
b) 2.4.20 does not compile all modules correctly on gcc 2.96
c) 2.4.20 compiles on gcc 3.2x, but I think I cannot run it on a RH 7.3
system. I have to use RH 8.0.

   On my main machine, running RH 7.3 and the Planet flow, I've needed to
update my 1394 drivers to work on this Jack over 1394 stuff. Unfortunately,
the 1394 drivers are tested with 2.4.20 and not with 2.4.19. People tell me
to build them under 2.4.20, and then move them to the RH 7.3 system, but
then I have the gcc 2.96 vs. 3.2x issues.

   I'm hopelessly lost in a maze of......

Mark