[PlanetCCRMA] Alright....time to research SBLive/Alsa

Brian Fahrlander kilroy@kamakiriad.com
Tue Feb 11 15:35:02 2003

    I've been trying to just mess with volumes, balance and the usual sound controls of mortal men.  But that's not cutting it anymore.  I need to know more.

    I have an SBLive (great card, btw) and I'm running the most-recent, apt-able version of ALSA which I believe is 0.9.

    Let me be clear on what I'm searching for:

    1. I don't need to know how to deal with the API for yet another sound program.

    2. I don't need to know how to run/install/modify Jack, since I'm nowhere ready for it yet, but the information I seek will help a lot.

    3. I need a user's manual.  Definitions:

    LFE.  How's that different from Headphone LFE?  Why do I have a seperate 'headphone' control at all, when I have only so many connections on the back of my card? (Maybe it's a SPIDF thing...)

    Why is there a seperate 'Wave' versus 'PCM'?  Aren't they the same?

    Just what is AC97, 'cause it's not only the model of a standardized sound card.

    Why do I have a "Music" and/or "Capture" and/or "Video" control?  What the heck is  IEC958C/O/T and why do I have so many mixers labelled "emu10k1"?

    Does anyone here know about these details?  I just need a place to start, ya know?

ICQ  5119262