[PlanetCCRMA] Issues after upgrading to RH9

Joe Hartley jh@brainiac.com
Tue Aug 5 15:27:01 2003

On 05 Aug 2003 14:51:43 -0700
Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano <nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
> You could check to see which qt packages you currently have (ie: redhat
> or planetccrma) by saying:
>
>   rpm -q -a |grep ^qt-|xargs rpm -q -i|grep "Build Host"
>
> That should print the "Build Host" line of all of them, the hosts should
> be whatever.redhat.com (in my install tweety.devel.redhat.com).

              and

> One way to see what was upgraded and what was not would be to do:
>
>   rpm -q -a --last > packages_by_date
>
> That will write a file "packages_by_date" of all packages on the system
> ordered by install date. It should be obvious what was done before the
> redhat 9 update and which package you should consider updating.

This is excellent!  I'd just come back from dinner with the intent of diving
into the rpm man pages to see what I could do to get more informative listings
and I find you've given me a detailed map into this area :)  many thanks!

> Yes, it is a problem. I have to start embedding the rh version in the
> package version, the problem with that approach is that it forces a
> complete update of all packages even if it is not strictly necessary.

I know that isn't going to be fun...  Let me see what I can knock around
for a script - maybe it will help others in this situation.

Thanks again for your help!