[PlanetCCRMA] Dependancies of non-planetccrma apps

Juan Reyes juanig@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Sun Sep 22 09:47:01 2002

Hi Carr,

Usually rpm looks for dependencies and let you know if there are
conflicts. If you use binary or source rpms to update Xemacs or Openoffice
you should not have a problem. If you downloaded OpenOffice from their
site, it has a special executable installer program which will install the
whole program either as network (workstation) installation or user
installations. I like network installation. As far as Xemacs things might
trickier depending on whether you are compiling the sources or installing
binaries. I would suggest trying to use a Xemacs rpm. You can find
relatively new versions at rpmfind.net but make sure you download one for
redhat73. But still I wonder why do you want to update Xemacs. The version
that comes with RedHat is fairly recent. Apt-Get looks for version
numbers, dates or whatever to update (upgrade) packages once it downloads
a package it runs rpm to install it.

  --* Juan