[PlanetCCRMA] Audio kernel install problem (continued)

Mark Knecht markknecht@attbi.com
Fri Sep 13 21:04:01 2002

Jeff,
   You said this on the DUC and you seem to be saying it here. You have no
swap partition?

   Second, Is it possible that RH won't boot if the start of the Linux
partition is beyond 8GB? I know some OS's won't. It's a BIOS issue or
something. Not sure.

   I'll ask some questions on the RH Install Reflector.

Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: planetccrma-admin@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
[mailto:planetccrma-admin@ccrma.Stanford.EDU]On Behalf Of Jeffrey Roach
Sent: Friday, September 13, 2002 8:47 PM
To: planetccrma@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Subject: [PlanetCCRMA] Audio kernel install problem (continued)

Hello,
  I used WXP Defrag to get those files moved to the
front of the disk and then re-sized below the 1024th
cylinder with fips.
  The Red Hat Installer was not giving the boot
warning messages during install afterwards.
  I installed Apt and updated via Red Hats update and
then Red Planet's.  Without my asking, it updated the
kernel also.
  When I reboot, I still have the same problem.  Here
is the error message,

mounting root filesystem
kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k
block-major-33 errno=2
mount: error 6 mounting ext 3
pivotroot: pivot_root (/sysroot, sysroot/initrd)
failed: 2
freeing unused kernel memory: 152k freed
kernel panic: no init found
try passing init= option to kernel

  All those files you mentioned are in /boot.

Thank you for any help.

Jeff