[PlanetCCRMA] Audio kernel install problem

Jeffrey Roach roach_jeffrey@yahoo.com
Fri Sep 13 19:25:01 2002

I sent a reply to this but I didn't get it posted to
the list I guess.

I think all of those items are in /boot.

There are errors during the initial install process of
Red Hat, none during the kernel upgrade and yes during
the reboot into the audio kernel.

Hardware is Asus A7V (BIOS 1011), 1.2G Athlon, 384
PC100 Sdram, IBM 20G 60GXP, On-board promise
controller.

10G is WinXp Pro and 10G is Linux (this is past the
1024th cylinder)

Hard drive is on on-board promise controller, not
ATA/66

Plug and play on in BIOS

I did a re-install of the OS to see what the errors
were.  Here they are in approximate quote,

'The partition table on /tmp/hde is inconsistent.
Linux may not have detected the BIOS geometry
correctly.  Here we don't think so.  You can ignore
this but it may cause fixable problems later with some
boot loaders and FAT filesystems.  LBA is
recommended.'

Fdisk says,

'The number of cylinders is 2501.  This is O.K. but
larger than 1024.  There will be a problem if:

1. Software that runs at boot time e.g. lilo
2. booting and partitioning software from other OSes'

and when Auto-partitioning,

'Boot partition /boot may not meet booting constraints
for your architecture.  Creating a boot disk is
encouraged.'

None of these messages causes any problems with the
Red Hat install or later, so they may or may not have
anything to do with the audio kernel boot problem.

I was going to get my first partition below the 1024
cylinder with fips but there are some files at the end
of the partition so I can't re-size it.  Ack.

Thank you.

Jeff

--- Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano