[PlanetCCRMA] 1394 /dev/raw1394

Mark Knecht mknecht@controlnet.com
Mon Sep 9 16:11:02 2002

Good info. I'll ask what's required for SBP2 devices. Possibly they don't
need either, or maybe they need /dev/1394raw.

I'll get back to you.

Thanks

-----Original Message-----
From: Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano [mailto:nando@ccrma.Stanford.EDU]
Sent: Monday, September 09, 2002 3:59 PM
To: Mark Knecht
Cc: PlanetCCRMA (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [PlanetCCRMA] 1394 /dev/raw1394

> I'm getting inconsistent results from the 1394 stack and was trying to
> figure out why. I went back and looked at the 1394 Developers stuff about
> how to install the 1394 stack and found an instruction that talks about
> making a new device called /dev/raw1394. Here's the URL:
>
> http://www.linux1394.org/start_install.html
>
> (Step 11)
>
> Do you know if this is still required? I believe it is, but am not
> totally sure. I can ask on the developer's reflector where I'm a member.

You need that if the software you are using interfaces with
the raw device.

> Does the Planet.CCRMA installation of 1394 assume that the user (me) is
> supposed to do something additional to get 1394 going? Could this be my
> problem?

Depends on what you want to use it for, I guess. I have only
used 1394 for video i/o, I have done no tests for mounting
filesystems through 1394 or doing audio i/o (which is at this
point very primitive). For video use you do need to create a
couple of devices in /dev (well, it depends on the
application), from my notes:

  mknod /dev/video1394 c 172 0
  mknod /dev/raw1394 c 171 0

You have to either make those devices readable to the user who
is supposed to be using them or, more elegantly, add them to
/etc/security/console.perms so that their permissions get
changed to you when you login to the system.

Then you should modprobe raw1394 and ohci1394. After that you
should be able to use, for example, gscanbus to show you the
devices connected to the bus and what they can do, or kino to
download video to the computer from a camcorder. I have no
idea what is required to mount filesystems and other 1394
tasks.

Obviously all this should be part of the planetccrma pages and
will be, I have no idea what is happening to time but it seems
to be broken, not enough of it :-)

-- Fernando