[PlanetCCRMA] ogg vorbis 1.0

Thu Sep 5 20:20:02 2002

* the ogg vorbis set of libraries and tools for audio compression has been
  upgraded to 1.0

  !!RedHat 7.2 users PLEASE read the notes below!!

* a new backwards compatibility libvorbis0 package has been created,
  because the final 1.0 release changed the library versions of two
  libraries that are needed by a bunch of programs. Instead of rebuilding
  all of them and forcing an upgrade I decided to just install a
  compatibility library and deal with it little by little.

  The disadvantage of this approach is that till the next ugprade, a
  program that uses the old libraries will keep using them and not the new
  ones, probably not a big problem.

==== RedHat 7.2 users ====

I spent the whole day on this and I give up (and a bad cold is not helping
:-) For some reason a dist-upgrade does not seem to do the right thing (it
works under 7.3). If you try a dist-upgrade you will get a confirmation
prompt asking if you want to delete a whole lot of packages. Answer No :-)
For an unknown reason the new compatibility package is not being
auto-installed and so whatever depends on the old libraries would need to
be uninstalled, which is not what you want.

To upgrade do this:
  apt-get update
  apt-get install libvorbis0 libvorbis-devel libogg-devel vorbis-tools

This will upgrade everything to the newest version.

Comment:

Ogg is now more important for future compression needs. The Mp3 patent
holders have changed the licensing terms and the exception from royalties
for free players is no longer there (well, they _say_ the have not changed
the licensing terms but they don't explain the discrepancy - something was
there before, and it is not there any longer, so in my eyes things have
changed). Anyway, I have not checked but apparently RedHat has erased all
the mp3 related pacakges from RawHide (the unstable preview of the
upcoming release)

-- Fernando