[PlanetCCRMA] alsaplayer - no audio through jack this morning

Mon Oct 28 20:04:01 2002

>    OK, on my studio PC 'alsaplayer -o jack' is working fine, but
> 'alsaplayer' by itself doesn't work. I get a big list of parameters and
> then a message it's trying OSS. After that, nothing more.

Alsaplayer is not that smart in choosing which parameters to use to open
the soundcard with. So the default might work on one soundcard and not on
another. You have to see what is failing and tune the parameters by hand
(there are command line parameters to do that). When you use jack it is
much simpler because alsaplyer does not have any choice, just uses what
jack was started with.

>    I'll say right up front, I do not understand these mixers at all. It
> seems that what I display in gamix changes what each thing does. None of
> them have any VUs so you spend all this time poking around looking for
> signals. Do you know of an alsa oriented mixer that has VUs of any type?
> I haven't found one, expect for ardour.

I don't know of any and I don't think you'll find one. They reflect the
structure of the alsa mixer and that in turn reflects what the hardware
can do. Soundcard hardware usually does not have support for "hardare vu
meter" monitoring... the ice1712 chipset is one that does and you have
envy24control for it.

-- Fernando