[Jackit-devel] RE: [PlanetCCRMA] CRON - cannot connect to jack server - 2 minutes after the hour

Erik de Castro Lopo erikd-100@mega-nerd.com
Thu Oct 24 11:51:01 2002

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 06:43:18 -0700
"Mark Knecht" <mknecht@controlnet.com> wrote:

> Good morning,
>    After running all night with crond turned off, jack was still working
> fine this morning. That's a first!
>
>    Thanks to Paul for sending the link on setting up cron. I'll be reading
> that today. However, In my mind, why in the world should ANY cron job cause
> jack to do this? Doesn't this speak towards a problem that needs to be
> fixed?

One of the commong cron jobs run daily is updated which is basically a

      find /

ie find every file on the system. Its hardly surprising that it takes a
while and chews up large amounts of dis I/O bandwidth.

Erik
  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam@mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
"When your hammer is C++, everything begins to look like a thumb."
-- Steve Haflich, in comp.lang.c++