[PlanetCCRMA] RE: [Jackit-devel] cannot connect to jack server - cannot connect to default JACK server

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Oct 23 09:32:01 2002

On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 08:53:55 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>    One thing that I notice is that there is some sort of power down
> happening on this machine. It's an Asus A7V133 set up using RH7.3 and the
> Planet. I'm wondering if some sort of sleep thing could easily be causing
> this, but I do not know what controls that. On this machine the monitor goes
> black after about 15 minutes or so of inactivity. I can wait a few minutes,
> wake it up, and check jack with jack_lsp and there are no problems. However,
> if I let the machine sleep longer before waking it up, I notice that the
> light on this monitor has switched from green to orange, and it takes about
> 30 seconds after I wiggle the mouse for the screen to warm back up again.
> EVERY TIME the machine gets to this state seems to cause a problem for jack!

[this is with current CVS jack]

This sounds very much like your machine is suspending, I just forced a
suspend on my laptop and after it woke up jackd exited, but it said so:

ALSA: poll time out polled for 39924.050167
driver wait function failed, exiting
telling signal thread that the engine is done
jack main caught signal 1

IIRC it used to (say, a coule of months ago) survive a supend, but it
reported massive overruns when it woke up.

If the machine suspends then the CPU stops running altogether, which jack
will interpret as a massive overrun, I guess. If your machine is ACPI it
may handle it differently.

The APM system informs processes when its about to suspend, and has just
resumed (I think) so it would be possible for jack to notice and stop what
its doing and expect wierd shit to happen when it wakes up again. I think
this is in the "advanced features" bucket though!

Ahh... I also seem to remeber that some soundcards get upset when they are
suspended and resumed, so it could be that your card has gone away, and
thats freaking jack out. Takashi may know more.

You should be able to turn of suspend to RAM and/or disk in the BIOS. Its
not really neccesary in a desktop.

Another (APM related) think that upsets jack is if the CPU is running at a
different speed than when it was booted at, if my laptop is not running at
the same clock speed it was when linux was booted, jack xruns like mad.

- Steve