[PlanetCCRMA] USB Device Phillips DSS Speakers

Tue Oct 22 16:34:01 2002

> > I think that currently alsa usb sound support does not
> > include a mixer (bu I'm not completely positive about that).
> > Try playing stuff on the second card (with aplay, for example).
>
> how do I acess the device with aplay? aplay -l doesn't list it...

See if you have (at least) two cards:
  cat /proc/asound/cards

And then take a look at what proc says about devices:
  cat /proc/asound/devices

For example, this is what I get at a random computer around here, I'll
add some comments to the list starting with #:

#first card:
  0: [0- 0]: ctl
 16: [0- 0]: digital audio playback
 24: [0- 0]: digital audio capture
  1:       : sequencer
 33:       : timer
# second card
 32: [1- 0]: ctl
 40: [1- 0]: raw midi
 50: [1- 2]: digital audio playback
 58: [1- 2]: digital audio capture
 49: [1- 1]: digital audio playback
 48: [1- 0]: digital audio playback
 56: [1- 0]: digital audio capture

So for this one you could play through the first card
  aplay --device=hw:0,0
or through the second:
  aplay --device=hw:1,0

I don't have a usb card here to see how it shows in the proc listings.
-- Fernando