[PlanetCCRMA] redhat 8.0

Steve Harris S.W.Harris@ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Oct 11 12:22:01 2002

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 10:39:50 -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
>    This makes me worry that stuff is all out of sync.

>    [Up on soapbox] This is the MAJOR problem with Linux that I think the
> software community will NEVER grasp about the user community and will ALWAYS
> stand in the way of everyday people using Linux. Until the installation of
> new software is made fool proof, Linux will never move beyond the limited
> (but wonderful) group of people that use it today. I long for that day...
> [down from soapbox]

You should choose to either use RPMs, or source. Don't cross the streams
;)

If you use vendor supplied RPMs you will be restricted to a subset of the
software, but if it gets unstable, and you havn't --force'd anything, then
someone screwed up.

If you build from source, you have to do more work yourself, but yo can
try to build whatever you want.

Myself, I have a development machine (work's laptop actually) that has CVS
everything on it, and stuff crashes every now and again. My studio PC
is (almost - not ardour) all RedHat + CCRMA RPMs. Its stable, and easy to
upgrade.

Its linux .'. theres nothing to stop you having two systems on one machine,
and keeping one for stable stuff you know will work - for recording, and
one for playing about.

Anyway, you don't know what hard is until you've tried to maintain a
windows machine from source code.

- Steve