[PlanetCCRMA] Trying MIDI for the first time

Mark Knecht markknecht@attbi.com
Thu Oct 10 21:09:02 2002

Fernando,
   Ok, I'm at a point where I want to be careful about how I proceed. To get
Ardour working with the newer version of jack (0.37.0) I had to do the
rpm -e thing on the jack package that was installed. Now if I try to do an
apt-get for pd, it's telling me it's going to install the PlanetCCRMA
version of jack. I think this is going to mess up Ardour, isn't it?

   This is exactly what we were talking about earlier today. Bummer...

   cat /proc/asound/oss/sndstat says (among other things)

Midi devices
0: MPU-401 (UART)

so that's a good sign. Looks like at least MIDI stuff is loaded.

   Is there any easy way for me to fool the PlanetCCRMA RPMs into not
the new jack? No, that will break ardour I think.

   Possibly I just have to do Pd or Muse from source code because of this?
That seems drastic. I just want a little tiny app the show a key getting hit
when I press the MIDI keyboard. ;-) Just to see it work! ;-)

Thanks very much,
Mark