[PlanetCCRMA] FW: [Ardour-users] Ardour/jack totally broken on two systems now using jack 0.39.0...

Thu Oct 10 12:55:06 2002

>    The other thing I'm running into is there isn't only a standard
> "./configure, make, make install" cycle, but also "./autogen.sh,
> ./configure, make, make install" and also "./autogen.sh, make, make install"
> cycle, so I'm seldom sure that I'm really building things correctly! The
> README's and INSTALL files get out of date, or apply to some other
> distribution, so you get a lot of problems going that way also. It's fine
> for real software people, but it's a problem for me. I just want it to work.
> ;-)

Oh, how do I wish for that... That is another advantage of packages (be it
rpms or debs), they serve as a "knowledge database" for how to build a
given piece of software. You only have to go through the hard process once
(or when the build method for a given software changes).

>    The problems of being on the leading edge...

Nope, it's called "bleeding edge" :-)
-- Fernando