[PlanetCCRMA] Not loading ALSA drivers at boot RH8.

Lloyd Hanson headmoron@webmoron.net
Mon Nov 25 18:32:01 2002

Let me apologize up front for what is probably a very simple problem,
but I have not been able to find a solution for a couple days now.

I have an installation of RH8 that has been through the kernel update
and I've followed the directions through the kernel update and the ALSA
drivers installation.

However, I cannot get the ALSA drivers to load on boot.  If I log in as
root (or su to root) after boot I can manually start
/etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound.  The drivers load and all appears to be
operational from then on.

There don't appear to be any OSS drivers left in my modules.conf file.

My sound card is a SB16PCI with an Ensoniq 1371 chip and

Again, I'm sorry if that's not enough information to go on.  Usually I
can figure these things out after a few hours of google use, but this
time I'm at a loss, both for a solution and the knowledge necessary to
find a solution.

Thanks for any education of this newbie.

Lloyd Hanson

===============from boot.log=========================

Nov 25 21:09:11 localhost modprobe:
/lib/modules/2.4.19-1.ll/kernel/drivers/sound/pci/snd-ens1371.o:
Nov 25 21:09:12 localhost modprobe: Hint: insmod errors can be caused by
incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
Nov 25 21:09:12 localhost modprobe:       You may find more information
in syslog or the output from dmesg
Nov 25 21:09:12 localhost modprobe: init_module: No such device
Nov 25 21:09:12 localhost modprobe:
/lib/modules/2.4.19-1.ll/kernel/drivers/sound/pci/snd-ens1371.o: insmod
/lib/modules/2.4.19-1.ll/kernel/drivers/sound/pci/snd-ens1371.o failed
Nov 25 21:09:12 localhost modprobe:
/lib/modules/2.4.19-1.ll/kernel/drivers/sound/pci/snd-ens1371.o: insmod
snd-ens1371 failed
Nov 25 21:09:12 localhost alsasound: Starting sound driver snd-ens1371
failed