[PlanetCCRMA] More JACK Problems

Sun Nov 17 20:14:01 2002

> This is definitely trying my patience.

I'm really sorry this has been such a pain.

> 4)  When Jack is not running, I can play wav files with aplay, but when
> jack is up, aplay will not work.

This is normal, jack uses the alsa devices even when no clients are
connected, no other alsa program will be able to use them (unless you
have a soundcard that supports hardware mixing).

> I think I'm going to give up for now and try again another day.  I've
> been at this almost all day.

Sorry again, hmmm, come to think of it, we never solved the problem of
running with the -R option, right? That is definitely wrong as well and
maybe is pointing at some basic problem that also affects client
connections. Maybe there is a subtle problem with that particular Cyrix
cpu and the options the kernel was compiled with, although that is hard
to imagine (I would assume that nothing would work right, not just
jack). Usually all this "just works"(TM). For some reason I have the
feeling that I'm missing something really obvious.

One thing that just occured to me (although again I don't see how this
could be wrong). Jack uses some files in /tmp, maybe they have the wrong
ownership. Do an "ls -l /tmp/jack*" while jack is running, those files
should be owned by the user that is running jack.

-- Fernando