[PlanetCCRMA] jackstart hanging the system

Mark Knecht mknecht@controlnet.com
Mon Dec 30 11:22:01 2002

-----Original Message-----
From: planetccrma-admin@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
[mailto:planetccrma-admin@ccrma.Stanford.EDU]On Behalf Of Fernando Pablo
Lopez-Lezcano
Sent: Monday, December 30, 2002 11:16 AM
To: Joseph Zitt
Cc: planetccrma@ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Subject: Re: [PlanetCCRMA] jackstart hanging the system

> > cannot lock down memory for RT thread (Cannot allocate memory)
> > **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.077 msecs
> > **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.093 msecs
> > **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.099 msecs
> > **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.092 msecs
> > **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.076 msecs
> > **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.070 msecs
> > **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.111 msecs
> > **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.089 msecs
> > **** alsa_pcm: xrun of at least 0.068 msecs
>
> Looking at online docs, I see that I should run jackstart as a user, not
> as root. But doing so makes no difference.

Meaning you get the error about locking all memory, or you do not get
that error and still get xruns?

<SNIP>
  jackstart -v -R -d alsa -d hw -p 864

Fernando,
   I had wondered how much memory he actually has in this machine? (I
apologize, but I haven't followed all these threads over the holidays and
don't even know for sure who has the problem right now! Is it Joseph?)
Anyway, if physical memory isn't available, then who knows what will happen?

   Additionally, I think that some cards have specific buffer size
requirements. I sort of remember some threads from a while ago (some even
written by me!) where users (like me) were having trouble by setting buffer
sizes and period numbers to values that could be supported correctly.
Unfortunately there isn't much (any?) info out there on how to do this
right.

Cheers,
Mark