[PlanetCCRMA] The Oxygen 8 works! ... but...

Wed Dec 18 19:18:01 2002

Hmmm... were you previously using the cs4236? Was it working? I seem to
remember now that you had installed a usb _audio_ card (not the
Oxygen8). Is that right? Maybe I'm confused...

> OK, I've put in the fixes that Fernando suggested to my
> /etc/modules.conf
> Restarting ALSA, I got:
>
> [root@gimel midisport-firmware]# /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound start
> Starting sound driver snd-usb-audio                        [  OK  ]
> Starting sound driver snd-cs4236 \
> /lib/modules/2.4.19-1.ll/kernel/drivers/sound/isa/cs423x/snd-cs4236.o:
> Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.

The sound driver module is not loading so jack (or anything that needs a
sound device - including pd) will not work.

You have now two devices, the Oxygen8 (only midi, driver snd-usb-audio)
and the built in cs4236 based card (driver snd-cs4236).

First things first. I assume that the cs4236 was working before. So we
have to make it work again. Sigh :-)

Try first a minimal modules.conf (leaving out the Oxygen8, don't even
plug it in).

=== CUT HERE ===
alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
alias usb-controller usb-uhci

# --- ALSA configuration
alias char-major-116 snd
alias char-major-14 soundcore
alias snd-card-0 snd-cs4236
# --- OSS compatibility
alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0
alias sound-slot-1 snd-card-1
alias sound-service-0-0 snd-mixer-oss
alias sound-service-0-1 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-3 snd-pcm-oss
alias sound-service-0-8 snd-seq-oss
alias sound-service-0-12 snd-pcm-oss
options snd device_gid=1 device_mode=0666 device_uid=0 cards_limit=1
major=116
options snd-cs4236 index=0 id=cs4236
# --- Keep modules from being autocleaned
add options -k snd-card-0
# --- ALSA configuration END
=== CUT HERE ===

Replace the current modules.conf with this and do a "/sbin/depmod -a" or
even better, reboot the computer (with the Oxygen8 unplugged). If the
module loads test sound (no midi at this point) with, for example, pd.

If this does not work then try replacing the snd-cs4236 options line
with the one that includes parameters for port, dma and so on and so
forth (apparently that is what you were using before):

options snd-cs4236 index=0 id=cs4236 port=0x530 irq=5 dma1=1 dma2=0

Again, after this do a "/sbin/depmod -a", stop the sound driver
"/etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound stop" and start it again (or reboot). Let's
see if that does the trick.

-- Fernando