[PlanetCCRMA] updated: alsa drivers.... finally!

Mark Knecht markknecht@attbi.com
Tue Dec 17 19:53:01 2002

Fernando,
   Hi. Interesting results. I think it's basically working, although I
ran across a couple of things.

1) On my system, if I warm boot to the command line, and then do an 'ls
/dev/snd' I see only the 2X2, but not the HDSP at all. The 2X2 looks
like 'card0' at that point I think. It says midiC0D0. I guess there's
some small chance that I'm seeing just one of the two MIDI ports on the
HDSP itself, but  sort of doubt it.

2) If I then do a 'startx' and do the 'ls /dev/snd' I see the HDSP as
card0, I see both of the HDSP's MIDI ports, and the 2X2 has moved to
card1. (MidiC1D0)

I have a suspicion that KDE is still calling, or trying to call, some
sound stuff and auto loading sound. I don't see why it isn't showing up
at the command line.

[root@Godzilla root]# /sbin/chkconfig --list alsasound
alsasound       0:off   1:off   2:on    3:on    4:on    5:on    6:off
[root@Godzilla root]#

3) A couple of PlanetCCRMA configuration questions:

a) The autoclean instructions talk about card0. With this configuration
should I actually have card0 and card1 lines at the end of my
module.conf file?

b) The USB Nano-HOWTO talks about raising the card limit by 2, but in
the example we did below I only raised it by 1. Should it be 1 or 2 do
you think?

   I still have lots of testing to do, but it does seem a bit better
behaved, so far. This sort of thing takes a long time to really be sure.

Thanks,
Mark

<SNIP>