[PlanetCCRMA] MidiMan 2x2 Question

Mark Knecht markknecht@attbi.com
Fri Dec 13 14:54:01 2002

Fernando,
   Glad you're getting over your cold. I've been up and down for 2 weeks
now. No fun.

   I have been continuing to work on this HDSP 9652 MIDI stuff and ran
across one piece of data that confused me a bit. It is my understanding
that the MidiMan 2x2 is a 2 port MIDI device, and it acts like a two
port device inside of Rosegarden as far as I can tell. However, I'm
puzzled over the entries I see in /dev/snd.

   If I boot my PC with the 2x2 disconnected and then do an ls of
/dev/snd, I see what appears to be the two ports on the HDSP 9652. When
I plug in the MidiMan, I only see a single port added. Is this correct
operation?

[root@Godzilla root]# cd /dev/snd
[root@Godzilla snd]# ls
controlC0  midiC0D0  midiC0D1  pcmC0D0c  pcmC0D0p  seq  timer

Plug in MidiMan 2x2

[root@Godzilla snd]# ls
controlC0  controlC1  midiC0D0  midiC0D1  midiC1D0  pcmC0D0c  pcmC0D0p
seq  timer
[root@Godzilla snd]#

   Would I not expect also to see a 'midiC1D1' entry? Maybe the MIDI
doesn't work this way? Or maybe the firmware doesn't support the second
channel?

Thanks,
Mark