[PlanetCCRMA] Kernel Panic

Mark Knecht markknecht@attbi.com
Tue Dec 3 20:14:02 2002

On Tue, 2002-12-03 at 19:42, Fernando Pablo Lopez-Lezcano wrote:

> Yes, for that to be fixed you would have to change /etc/fstab. But then
> you would not be able to boot the original redhat kernel. Yuck! It may
> be possible to have two swap entries in fstab and one or the other would
> get ignored. Worth trying, I guess. Edit fstab cautiously :-)

I think I will not go this way right now. Logically, the Redhat kernel
is able to do this right, on this chipset and others. It's only this
kernel having trouble, so there must be some difference that we don't
know about yet. I'll search for that rather than go too much further
with this non-standard way of dealing with the disks.

.

> That is probably correct. Regretfully it appears that I have configured
> the kernel "correctly" in the sense that I am not altering the order and
> on-board controllers should be assigned the first (ie: hda/b/c/d) set of
> drive letters. Actually I am using the original redhat configuration as
> the base configuration for my kernels.

Assuming that the configuration RH supplied with the distribution really
does represent how the kernel was configured.

> I just found (part of the BootPrompt-HOWTO) a kernel option you could
> try adding to the end of the 2.4.19 kernel line in grub.conf:
> ide0=noprobe, it might have the desired effect of ignoring what the new
> kernel considers is the first controller and using only the second
> (which is actually the on-board ide controller). I have not tried it.

I was hopeful,but it didn't change anything.I have built kernels before,
just not with alsa support and all. Maybe I'll try that later this week
if I can't find any other solutions.

Thanks for helping me though. I do appreciate it.

Cheers,
Mark