[PlanetCCRMA] Not loading ALSA drivers at boot RH8.

Tue Dec 3 16:06:02 2002

[sorry for the delay in answering, I was away for a week on a trip, maybe
this has already been solved]

> Let me apologize up front for what is probably a very simple problem,
> but I have not been able to find a solution for a couple days now.
>
> I have an installation of RH8 that has been through the kernel update
> and I've followed the directions through the kernel update and the ALSA
> drivers installation.
>
> However, I cannot get the ALSA drivers to load on boot.  If I log in as
> root (or su to root) after boot I can manually start
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/alsasound.  The drivers load and all appears to be
> operational from then on.
>
> There don't appear to be any OSS drivers left in my modules.conf file.
>
> My sound card is a SB16PCI with an Ensoniq 1371 chip and

This is strange. If I understand correctly the driver does not start
during the boot process but can be started manually after the boot is
complete. The error message you are seeing would seem to point to another
driver for the same card already using the resources but that does not
make sense as it would not "magically" stop using the resources after the
boot is done. Did you use chkconfig to enable the alsasound startup
script? What does your modules.conf look like?

-- Fernando