[PhDs] Desk Lottery Info + Sign up Sheet

Marise van Zyl marise at stanford.edu
Fri Jul 28 13:25:51 PDT 2023

Hi all,

It’s time to sort out desks for the coming year. We only have the top area because of the flood, but we’ve also had some graduations, so hopefully everyone that wants a desk, can have one.

The desk allocation procedures are outlined in this<https://ccrma.stanford.edu/wiki/Desk_Allocation_at_CCRMA> document by Jack Atherton. I am suggesting a slightly different approach since things are a little different ‘post’ covid and post flood desk chaos, etc.

My suggestions:

  *   We take a poll of who needs a desk and if they have any preference.
  *   We let senior students select first and go down the list.
  *   We do this every quarter
(as a lot of students might not need a desk one quarter (or be away) and then need one the next, to ensure most people’s needs are met and that desks aren’t just standing empty for the whole year even if technically belonging to someone)
We can also leave one desk upstairs open for whoever needs it on a first come first serve basis, if people are interested in that?

If anyone has any other suggestions or ways of doing this, please email me or reply to this thread.

I have made a google sheet with the necessary info and would appreciate if everyone would fill it in asap.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/11Cp4sHjY4zbVUrbJh6WqU04Yo2PvXAqOcQNk-HH1I3A/edit?usp=sharing

Best,

Marise