[PhDs] Town Hall today (5/6), 5:30

Nette Worthey networth at ccrma.Stanford.EDU
Thu May 7 14:51:27 PDT 2020

Hi all,

Sending this update from the Town Hall to just PhDs, as conference travel funding is only applicable to you all.

WRT online conference registration: we do have funding to reimburse those for you this year. We don’t have a clear policy yet whether it will be one per person per year as usual, but I will get clarity on that and report back. Unfortunately, due to a very uncertain budget situation, we cannot hold any unused funds from this year for next. This is upholding our standard policy. I completely understand that these are extraordinary times, and I wish we could give you better news. We are being asked to significantly reduce our normal spending for next year, and anything saved this year will contribute to what we *won’t* have to cut next. Essentially, keeping our usual policy of not rolling over travel funding from year to year may allow us to be able to fund conference travel next year, despite the large budget cuts that are being called for. Please understand that even with this potential savings, we may still need to adjust conference travel funding in the coming year or two; we won’t have more clarity until at least mid-June. Know that we are committed to continuation of conference travel support because we recognize its importance in your education, research, and future, and that we will everything we can to protect that for you.

As always, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us if you have special circumstances.

Nette

> On May 6, 2020, at 2:53 PM, Nette Worthey <networth at ccrma.Stanford.EDU> wrote:
>
> Salutations!
>
> I hope you are all still well and comfortable. We only had one new submission from the community to discuss tonight, so the meeting will likely be fairly short.
>
> AGENDA
>
> • Will online conference registration and publication fees be supported by our usual conference travel funding? What are the possibilities of rolling over unused funds from this year to next so they can be used then? (Nette)
>
> And two things I wanted to discuss:
>
> • Commencement celebration ideas: the university is still in planning stages for what will be done for the whole group of graduating students (undergrads and grads); the department is planning an online celebration; what ideas do you have for both the online celebration this year (departmental and university) and for a potential in-person event next year celebrating the class of 2020? Is there something CCRMA-specific you would like to do this year?
>
> • Community Standards and Inclusivity statement: CCRMA currently does not have a written policy or document affirming our commitment to a safe, inclusive, and diverse community. Staff  have been thinking about it, and some of us believe it’d be good to have a written statement of our values as a collective. If you’d like to be involved in creating such, please let Nette know. Some examples: https://provost.stanford.edu/statement-on-diversity-and-inclusion/ <https://provost.stanford.edu/statement-on-diversity-and-inclusion/>,  https://www.rochester.edu/diversity/reports/mission/ <https://www.rochester.edu/diversity/reports/mission/>, https://resed.usc.edu/about/inclusion-statement/ <https://resed.usc.edu/about/inclusion-statement/>, https://myusf.usfca.edu/diversity-engagement/inclusion-statement <https://myusf.usfca.edu/diversity-engagement/inclusion-statement>.
>
> • Quick checkin: highlight one musical activity you have enjoyed either as audience or participant since the last Town Hall?
>
> Thanks, and we shall see you at 5:30!
>

> Zoom meeting info:
>
> Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://stanford.zoom.us/j/443914917 <https://stanford.zoom.us/j/443914917>
>
> Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll): +18333021536,,443914917# or +16507249799,,443914917#
>
> Or Telephone:
>    Dial: +1 650 724 9799 (US, Canada, Caribbean Toll) or +1 833 302 1536 (US, Canada, Caribbean Toll Free)
>
>    Meeting ID: 443 914 917
>    International numbers available: https://stanford.zoom.us/u/abS4h4ZRH0 <https://stanford.zoom.us/u/abS4h4ZRH0>
>
>    Meeting ID: 443 914 917
>    SIP: 443914917 at zoomcrc.com <mailto:443914917 at zoomcrc.com>
> [...]